Home>Live-in Caregiver


Working temporarily in Canada as a Live-In Caregiver, living permanently in Canada as a resident


Live-in Caregivers are individuals who are qualified to provide care for children, elderly persons or persons with disabilities in private homes without supervision.


To work as a live-in caregiver in Canada, you must make an application to the Live-in Caregiver program (LCP). If your application is successful, you will receive a work permit and work in Canada for a period legally.


Effective April 1, 2010, live-in caregivers working in Canada under the Live-in Caregiver Program:

- have two options for calculating their work experience to be eligible to apply for permanent residence:

?? --24 months of authorized full-time employment, or

?? --a total of 3,900 hours of authorized full-time employment;

- have four years from their date of arrival to complete the employment requirement to be eligible for permanent residence under the Program; and

- no longer need to undergo the standard mandatory requirement for a second medical exam when applying for permanent residence.


Live-in caregivers may apply for permanent residence after they have worked for two years in the LCP within four years of their arrival in Canada. They must meet the requirements of the class as specified in the section113 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulation.


All family members of LCP applicants for permanent residence must undergo and pass medical, criminal and security checks.


Call or email Canwin for more details.


[email protected] Immigration